Wednesday, August 22, 2012

When a Cupcake is More than Just a Cupcake

On Saturday we learned about the different personality types (D - I - S - C) and how these personality traits come out and also how to talk to those personality types.  The first step however was to figure out what your personality type was.  We then broke up into groups depending upon our personality types to discuss how we relate to other people and how we can better relate to those around us with conflicting types. 
When I finished the test I found out that I was pretty close with all of my traits but my primary was I and my secondary was S.  This doesn't surprise me at all since I am the artsy type person and highly emotional. I think I have always been I then S and probably a lot stronger traits earlier in childhood.  After art school I decided to go in to the legal field and that is probably where I developed my D and C traits. 

With age I have learned how to tap in to my D or C trait when I need to but those are not the traits that guide me.  I have been and always be the dreamer who can easily be shattered by words and actions.  To walk in to a room and be ignored hurts, not because I need to be the center of attention but because I am an emotional person.  I tend to feel abandoned or disliked if I am not acknowledged.  Part of this comes from the lack of self esteem but also my personality.  I also do not like to feel like I am being talked down to.  I come across this in the legal field a lot.  Attorneys (at times) will talk down to me because I do not have a J.D. after my name but in reality I have had more of a college education. (I switched majors three times).

The fun part of this whole experiment was we then had to decorate cupcakes in accordance with our personality types.  So being the I that I am and being told to use whatever was in the room along with bags of icing, my mind started wandering.  I brought Mio water enhancer with me (because I cannot for the life of me drink just water).  Then I eyed the pack of sugar.  I dumped out a few packs of sugar and squirted the berry flavored Mio on the plate and mixed it all up.  The sugar turned a very deep purple and clumped together like little crystals.  I let them dry a little bit as I decorated my cupcake. 

It was really fun to walk around the room and see how people decorated their cupcake.  The more reserved personality traits used fewer colors and was more simply decorated while the outgoing and crazy (I personality) use every color in wild patterns and added sprinkles etc to
the cupcakes. 
 
This exercise was not only meant to help you in personal relationships in your life, or to assist you in recognizing your customers personalities and why they say the things they do, but also to help us grow as individuals. You have to know why you tend to do the things you do or say the things you say.  If you are conscious of it, then you can pay more attention to your words and how others may take what you say.  Some of us need to slow it down and speak with a softer tone, while some of us need to draw ourselves in and grow a little thicker skin.  
 
But the absolute best part of this project was eating the evidence.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I look forward to hearing from you.